Priorities

One of the most interesting things to me in Pastor Israel's message yesterday was the notion that our priorities are out of whack. He quoted an economist who noted that, "Americans tend to worship their work, work at their play and play at their worship." That really resonated with me.

I couldn't help but think of a quote I heard recently from a show I've been watching called "The Wire." One of the detectives tells another, "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the 'stuff' that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come." That's a reminder to be present and to truly appreciate what we've got before it's gone.

Being able to realize what is truly important is what discernment is all about. We looked at Philippians 1:9-10 yesterday and I, like Israel, was struck by the fact that Paul offered such hopeful advice from a prison cell. "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ."

Our time here is short, and it is incumbent upon us to make the most of our opportunities. I know I don't always have my priorities where they should be, but a good start is in remembering to invest time in the relationships that are most important, starting with my relationship with Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43