The End of an Era

Last week the official announcement came down that after 30 years the long-running program "At The Movies" would shutter the balcony for good in August. For those that don't know, "At The Movies" began in 1980 with critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. It has had a variety of hosts since then, beginning when Siskel passed away and continuing to transition after Ebert developed cancer and had to undergo treatment that left him unable to speak.

I have long been a fan of the show, so when I read the announcement I was a little sad. The show isn't the same now, but it's not bad and it feels like an institution for those of us that love film. I grew up watching the show and really respect Ebert. He's probably one of my favorite critics, not because I always agree with him but because I appreciate his honest writing style. Plus, when he doesn't like a film, he really knows how to turn a phrase.

In college, watching the show became a Sunday ritual for my and my roommate. By then, we'd seen most of the new releases, so it was a chance to compare my impressions with the critics. Sometimes I'd agree, sometimes I wouldn't, but it always gave me something to think about. And it was entertaining, too.

But all good things must come to an end. On Saturday, having heard the news of the show's cancellation and feeling nostalgic, I tuned in. The current hosts — Michael Phillips of the "Chicago Tribune" and A.O. Scott of the "New York Times" — aren't bad. In fact, I agree with them quite a bit. However, Saturday was a different story.

As I sat there, jaw agape, both men LOVED "Hot Tub Time Machine." Both recommended "New Moon," with one of them even claiming the acting was superb. And both took a pass on "The Blind Side," calling it overly sentimental, poorly written fluff. Three strikes and you're out... I guess that's why the show's getting cancelled.

For a long time now it's been apparent that critics don't hold much sway over the box office. Some of the most poorly reviewed films of the year bring in truckloads of money while the true gems barely cover their costs. The tastes of the public in general have changed, without a doubt. But I still think critics have their place and, whether you agree with them or not, shows like "At The Movies" are entertaining.

Sadly the studio doesn't agree. So, after 30 years, this August the Balcony will close for good. I, for one, will miss it. But I'm still not going to rent "New Moon".....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43