Understanding through love

As we continued the Spring Planting series today we looked at Understanding. Graham, using the passage in Colossians 2:1-3, emphasized that understanding comes through love as part of the message. I have been mulling that over this week and was struck by a parallel passage from Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:2.

That passage reads, "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." I think the point is that it's not enough just to know and understand the mysteries of God, you have to apply that knowledge and understanding in love.

As I've reflected on the series so far I been thinking about how integral knowledge is to both wisdom, which we discussed last week, and understanding. My thought is this: wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge to help guide our own lives while understanding is the ability to apply that knowledge to helping offer guidance and support to others.

I don't know if I've gotten to the point where I'm able to do that as well as I should, but I'm working on it. I've been touched and inspired by this series, which has provided plenty of good food for thought. I hope it's touched all those who've been in attendance, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43