Faith like a child

Today we kicked off the Parenthood series. I'm not a parent, but when I was looking at the passage I couldn't help but be moved by the idea that Jesus was talking as much about how adults interact with faith as about reaching out to children.

Luke 18:17 says, "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." When reflecting on the passage I couldn't help but think about how children receive the kingdom of God. There is a wonder, an enthusiasm and a curiosity that drives their learning.

That's something we lose some as adults. The more we learn about the world, the more that stands in the way of that child-like wonder and openness that kids bring to faith. Jars of Clay had a song that touched on that idea, "Faith Like a Child." The chorus goes, "They say that I could move the mountains, and send them falling into the sea. They say I could walk on water, if I would just believe with faith like a child."

I thought of "Star Wars" when reflecting on that. There is a point during his Jedi training when Luke tries to raise his ship from the bog. But he can't, because he perceives it as too big. Yoda chides him, saying the object isn't too big, his belief is too small. I think that's a problem that plagues adults. Sometimes the more we know about the "truth" of the world, the more it inhibits us from achieving.

On the series "Fringe" on Thursday, one of the main characters said "When you open yourself up to the impossible, you find the truth." Kids see the limitless possibilities, and it's when we open ourselves to that that we can experience the depth of all Jesus has to offer us.

Yesterday I saw the new Christian film, "Letters to God." It's about a young boy stricken with cancer who inspired all he met through his faith. He wasn't bogged down in the details of his life and conditions, he just rejoiced in his love and connection to his savior. We should all be so lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43