Good Friday

Sometimes I've wondered, is there a bigger misnomer than Good Friday? True, the Crucifixion was good for all of man kind, and it was the fulfillment of prophecy, but the pain and suffering our Savior endured on a Friday some 2,000 years ago is practically unimaginable.

It's incredible to think that just five days earlier he made a triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Of course many that day believed they were hailing a king who had come to change their world. They were, but it wasn't in a way they expected. Jesus showed all that he was on a mission to change our hearts and minds forever when he cleared the Temple. But it wasn't what many expected. In my experience, the Christian life often provides the unexpected.

Those leaders who watched were filled with fear, and responded by plotting to have Jesus killed and rallying the crowds to turn against him. Fear of the unknown is a powerful force that stands in opposition to the life we're called to lead as Christians.

But the events of "Good Friday" were foretold many years before and were the fulfillment of many prophecies, including my favorite one from Isaiah. When I was younger, I was in an AWANA youth program. I learned many classic verses in King James and New King James. The New King James translation of Isaiah 53:5 is one of my favorites. It reads, " But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed."

Jesus never stopped giving, even up until the moment of his death. One of the most powerful stories in the Bible is of the two thieves hung on the cross beside Jesus. One scorned Jesus, even as he was suffering the same fate. The other recognized Jesus' authority and begged for forgiveness. Jesus responded, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43).

Jesus offered the same forgiveness to those in the crowd that chanted for his death even as he was placed on the cross. In Luke 23:34 he says, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

He continues to give today, all he asks is that we "fix our eyes" upon Him. And it is because of the sacrifice made 2,000 years ago that we are able to read the words of Paul in Galatians 2:20 today. The passage reads, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (KJV).

We share in the treasures of Heaven because He endured scorn, shame, and death. When I think about it, I can't imagine anything more "Good" than that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43