From the May Newsletter

I believe that God can speak to us through anything and anyone. A part of being a Christ follower is constantly seeking after him and continually seeking ways to grow in knowledge and in the spirit.

I also love movies. But I couldn’t always see how it all worked together. I was part of a very conservative church as a youth. Though my parents provided a great example of faith, it was hard not to be influenced in some sense by the views of others in our church.

In that church a culture existed that people should be separated from the world. Many of the kids I fellowshipped with were in Christian home school programs, most weren’t permitted to watch secular films and shows, and most listened only to Christian or classical music. It felt like they were encouraged to be set apart from the world, to prevent themselves from being influenced by the evil that pervades pop culture.

Sometimes I felt like less of a Christian because I went to public school and because I liked movies and TV shows. It wasn’t until I went through college and matured in my faith and in life that I realized we are called to be set apart in the world, not set apart from the world.

In Matthew 5:14-16, Jesus says, “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” We are to be an example in the world, but you can’t be that example if you withdraw from the world.

I also don’t think you can be that example if you don’t understand the world. I have always enjoyed watching films and analyzing what they have to say about the world. It’s not about agreeing with the worldview, it’s about understanding the worldview presented and comparing it to our faith. And by analyzing other worldviews and comparing them to our own, we can strengthen and refine our own beliefs, which is helpful when sharing our faith with others.

I love analyzing films, and I hope you will learn to love it too. This summer I will be leading a 10-week study called “Faith in Films.” If, like me, you like exploring your faith in new ways, I hope you’ll give this group a try. By the end, I’m sure you’ll never look at films the same way again.

The "Faith in Film" series class will kick-off on Monday, June 7. Stay tuned for more details and information about this 10-week summer series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43