God in Everything

I had a chance to see the new "Karate Kid" movie last weekend. It was an interesting modern update of the franchise, and I thought it was a pretty decent film. There was one idea that I found particularly interesting.

In the middle of his training, young Dre (Jaden Smith) complains about the exercises his teacher is having him do. He doesn't understand how any of it will help him gain the skills he needs to be a great kung fu warrior. Finally his teacher, Mr. Hahn (Jackie Chan), stops him and says, kung fu is in everything. It's in every movement and in all our interactions with others and the world around us.

I found that fascinating because I think it applies to what our perspective of God should be, or rather how we should reflect Jesus light through our actions. In a way, Mr. Hahn was trying to get Dre to treat the world and other people with the respect they deserve, looking at it through the context of kung fu. Obviously we look at the world and our interactions with people a different way as Christians, but the point is the same. Respect others, demonstrate Christ's love to others in our interactions because that is what he's done for us.

Mr. Hahn's words changed Dre's perception of his own actions and the way he related to others and the world around him. If a simple kung fu lesson can do that for a 12-year-old boy, how much more should we be inspired and impacted when we consider Jesus' sacrifice for us and our duty to let our light shine among men.

I think this is the area where the Church, and by that I mean Christ-followers, can do the most good and often gets it the most wrong. We are supposed to reflect the light and love of Christ in the darkness of this present age. I don't think we do it enough, I know I don't. But I'm working on it and I hope you are too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43