Graduation Day

Today, yet another generation of graduates wrap up their time at Paso Robles High School. Yesterday similar ceremonies took place in Atascadero and Templeton, and similar events are being held and have been held throughout California and the rest of the country. Now graduates are preparing to head out into the world.

I was thinking about that a bit last Sunday when I had the opportunity to attend the Paso Robles High School Baccalaureate ceremony. I couldn't help but think about my own graduation from high school. It's hard for me to admit, but it was 11 years ago. As I was listening to the student speakers on Sunday night, I thought about all the plans and dreams I had when I graduated from high school.

I figured by this point I'd be a well-known media personality, possibly broadcasting national professional games. At least I hoped. I also thought I might be able to sell a screenplay or a novel. But that's not where I ended up.

I was certain that I would spend my career in journalism. I loved it — still do — and I thought I would make my mark in that field. But God had other, better plans. And as I reflected on where I was headed when I left high school and where I've ended up, I can see the beginning of a long, beautiful path that God has created for my life. And I am confident that the further I travel along that road, the more I'll see how the pieces fit. I don't think that was possible when I was 18 and preparing to live away from my parents for the first time in my life.

But the thing is we put a lot of pressure on ourselves when we hit these "landmark" moments in our lives. Sometimes there are outside influences (parents, friends, teachers, advisors) who help add to this pressure, but I feel like most of it, certainly in my case, was self inflicted. But I wonder how realistic it is to think you've got your life all planned out when you're 18.

This isn't to say having a plan is pointless. It isn't. Neither are dreams. And there are some people who are lucky enough to know their purpose when they are 17 or 18 and to achieve it through hard work and sheer force of will. But for others, it takes longer.

I don't like procedural television shows as much as some. Some are comforted by the routine plots the familiar faces and the predictable resolution. I like characters. I like character-driven stories. So, on those rare occasions where I find a character-driven procedural, I get attached. I might still have an idea where the story is going, but the journey to get there is so fascinating, to see how the pieces fit, it makes it all worth while.

I think our lives are like that. It's great to have a plan, goals, and dreams; but I think we need flexibility to realize when God is putting a fork in our path. We have to learn to love and appreciate the journey because we are part of God's story. And sometimes the major act changes in the story God has for us don't appear until we're farther along in the plot.

Do I regret the forks in my path? Of course not. Even things that didn't turn out the way I wanted or planned at the time are part of the journey that led me to where I am, even when I didn't realize it at the time.

So to all those graduates about to embark on a new chapter in their own story I offer this advice, enjoy the ride!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43