Small Groups Experience

I have never been a "small groups" guy. I am kind of introverted and it takes me a while to get comfortable in group situations. Sometimes I'm sure that makes me seem shy or aloof, but it's just part of my personality.

I think that's why the idea of small groups has always been kind of a struggle for me. But I think Israel really touched on some of the benefits of small groups in the message today. Some of those same issues were brought up in a book I'm reading by Donald Miller called "Blue Like Jazz." I guess it comes down to this, we are all united in the body of Christ and iron sharpens iron. When we meet with and work with other believers, we strengthen our walk. It's about sharing in the larger Christian community, acting as a support for others, building others up, and helping each other grow.

It's the same kind of idea that you see at work in a functional team. Really great teams are able to forgo their own needs, at times, to help build others up. That's what makes them great, that's what bonds them together, and that's what helps them succeed.

I have been blessed to be a part of a couple great small group teams in my life. The first one was when I was in high school. As a senior, I was a student-leader in my youth group along with two other friends who were seniors. My dad was our youth leader, and he considered leadership a privilege and wanted to make sure we continued to grow in our own spiritual walk even as we helped others grow. So to be part of the leadership team, we met together once a week to plan group meetings and do Bible study.

At first it seemed like some hoop I had to jump through. But soon, I grew to see that hour and a half as one of the highlights of my week. We laughed together, learned together, and grew together. It was a great place to share ideas, thoughts, frustrations, fears, and joys. It is one of my fondest memories.

The other great small group I've been a part of is the staff at Highlands Church. It presents all the same outlets and joys as the group I was a part of in high school. The thing I like best is how invested we are in one another and how much we work together to help each other achieve.

My hope for all of you is that you would find a quality small group experience of your own. Becoming a Christian is a personal decision, but the Christian life is not lived alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43