Where the Journey Begins

There is a scene in the movie "Angels and Demons" that I think perfectly sums up the struggle with becoming a faith follower. Ewan McGreggor, playing a priest, asks Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) if he believes in God. Langdon replies, "My head tells me I'll never understand God." The priest asks what about his heart. Langdon replies, "My heart tells me I'm not meant to. Faith is a gift I've not yet received."

I couldn't help but think about that this week as we took the first step on our series called Journey. This week we looked at where the Journey begins. I was also reminded of the way we started our Words of Wisdom series with the idea that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom." I think that really sums up what it is to first grapple with the idea of God.

That moment when you first realize God is real and that he's so much bigger than us, the fear and wisdom begin. It comes from knowing that our whole conception of our lives and our place in this world has changed. That doesn't necessarily mean that we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. That could come at that moment or it could come later, but it's all part of the journey of discovery. I think that can be a big moment for people. I think that's the moment captured in Robert Langdon's response to the question of whether or not he believes in God.

I was also moved in thinking about the "mountain top" concept in today's message. Graham talked about the idea that the wave we ride when we first become faith followers doesn't last, which sometimes causes uncertainty for those in the first part of the journey.

It reminds me of an illustration that Donald Miller used in his sermon about story that I think speaks to some of the ideas we talked about today. Miller uses the illustration of our lives being a story, thinking of the human experience and our faith journey like the structure of a film plot. There is a first act, a long second act, and finally the third act resolution. Some people think that mountain top experience and their first blush with faith is the climax, the third act of their story. They think of it as the moment when they ride off into the sunset. When that doesn't prove true, people become angry and confused.

Really, we should think of our conversion as a turning point in the second act. It doesn't mean things will be perfect from then on, but it's the beginning of a journey that puts us on that path. As Graham put it, the wave ends but the journey continues. That first phase can be wonderful and a high point, but we all have to be prepared to keep on the path, no matter where it leads, if we want to get to that third act finale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43