Embracing Realities

There was a part of today's message topic that really made me think. In the early part of the message, Graham talked about what his professional dream had been when he was younger, and how that had changed into the reality God wanted for his life. And that turned out to be better than what he'd hoped when he was younger.

I think that's certainly something I've experienced in my life. Where I am now is about a million miles away from where I thought I would be when I turned 18 and graduated from high school. During locker room this morning, we talked about what we had wanted to be and I started to think about that.

When I left high school, I was locked onto the idea of being a sports broadcaster. I loved sports and had a good voice for announcing. It seemed like a logical plan. In fact, I got my degree in Radio, Television, and Film, with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism. And there are things I liked about broadcasting. I interned for two summers with KSBY, and I could have seen myself pursuing that career. But as I went through college, I had other passions.

One passion was screen-writing. At one point in college, I actually thought it would be awesome to be a staff writer for the teen soap opera "Dawson's Creek." Fortunately the show was cancelled when I was still in college, a clear signal I wasn't meant to head down that path.

But I still loved writing. So I decided to stick with journalism, but to go for print journalism. And that's what I did for seven and a half years. In fact, I still do it in some ways. And I liked it, and I think that was the path God wanted me to head down. But it wasn't a final destination, just a step in the journey.

Over the past few years I felt the pull toward ministry, and all along the way God overcame my self doubts and pushed me in the direction he always meant for me to go. So where I am now isn't what I imagined 11 years ago, but it's where I'm supposed to be. I hope that at some point we will all be able to say the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43