Football hangover

By the time the second Monday Night Football game came on last night, I was a little gridironed out. Don't get me wrong, I told everyone who would listen that Sunday was my "day of jubilee" because professional football was back, but after nine hours of games and two more hours watching highlights again, I was full.

The first week of the NFL season has become a bit like Thanksgiving dinner. It's more than you want spread over a longer period than it should be and when it's over, you need a break. I was pumped Thursday as the season began. Then I watched high school highlights Friday, college highlights on Saturday, games all day on Sunday, breakdowns of the games on Sunday night and Monday morning, then more games Monday night. That's a lot of football. I also sprinkled in some Madden.

But that's what football is in America — event television. It's so engrained as part of Americana that when I was reading my text book chapter on culture for my class, there was a whole section about football being a part of the "American" experience. It was a little amusing, but all too true.

I love NFL games. I love them so much that, even knowing the Denver Broncos choked and lost on Sunday, I spent three hours watching a recording of the game anyway to break down their strategy.

But I also acknowledge that it's good that games are only two, three or four days a week. Then we have a few other days to get done everything else in life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43