3-D Burn Out

I saw a headline recently that said the producers of "Harry Potter" have decided to scrap plans to release the seventh film in 3-D. I can only describe my reaction as relieved. Welcome to the fall of 2010...

Nothing has been a bigger fad in 2010 than the wave of 3-D films. Some have enlivened the cinema experience. Without a doubt, "Avatar" did some fantastic things in exploring this form of cinema. In addition, some films this year have been shot in 3-D and have made for an incredible visual experience. One of my favorite this year has been "Step Up 3-D." But most of them have been a disappointment that feels like little more than a money grab.

To further make that point for me, they are now introducing 3-D TV channels and releasing 3-D TVs. They cost a fortune and require you to sit in your living room wearing ridiculous glasses. (Hopefully they are more comfortable than the plastic monstrosities at theaters).

Nowadays it seems like every other film is in 3-D, whether you want it to be or not. I think the nadir has to be a new edition of "Jackass" in 3-D... definitely not a high point in cinema.

One can only hope that this 3-D wave will tail off a bit in 2011, but I don't hold out much hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43