A Fantasy Game

I have always loved football and, for the past eight seasons, I've enjoyed catching all the games on DirecTVs Sunday Ticket. I love watching and rooting for teams, rooting against teams, and all the action of a game day Sunday.

While all that is still true, this year I've given myself a new wrinkle. I was invited by a friend to play fantasy football for the first time this year, and I decided to give it a try. I have to admit, I lacked a strong strategy when putting together my team, but what I was really naive about how it would change my focus on Sundays. Now I realize that, win or lose, my first question is about the stats of the players on my team...

Yesterday I actually figured out how to program DirecTV to give me the low down on my players. It was a thrilling moment. I also caught myself, yesterday, being bummed out when passes didn't go to players on my fantasy team even though it generated positive plays for my actual team. In other words, it's dramatically changed my approach to the game.

It's also a lot of fun. It can lead to self-doubt, especially when you make the wrong decisions, but it is kind of fun to see how your players stack up. Like yesterday, when Miles Austin made an unbelievable catch and run on a 69-yard touchdown strike to tie the game 17-17. I was excited because I wanted the Cowboys to win, but I was even more excited when I realized I picked up 12 points for my fantasy team on one play.

Needless to say, after just five weeks I can totally understand the appeal of fantasy sports.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43