Coming to America

A few weeks ago while I was at the theater a trailer for "Let Me In" appeared. The person sitting next to me asked what I thought, and I told her I had already seen it. She was confused as the movie hadn't been released yet. She's probably not alone.

Two years ago I saw a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In." It is about a 12-year-old girl who befriends a 12-year-old boy who is a social outcast. Turns out she is a bit different, in that she's a vampire. It is dark, edgy, and a different take on the genre.

Now, if you've seen "Let Me In," which opened today, that's going to sound familiar. That's because "Let Me In," written for the screen and directed by Matt Reeves ("Cloverfield") is the Americanized version of that Swedish film. So when I told my friend a few weeks ago I had seen the film, that's what I meant.

You see, the only real difference between the films is the fact one is in English and has culturally American references. That's pretty much it. Since I was only mildly entertained by the Swedish one, I knew I would dread the American version. I did. But what bothers me more is that we feel like we need to make an American version of everything so people will see it. But I guess we do.

When I was reading the story on the adaptation of "Let the Right One In," Reeves said his first reaction was that the movie shouldn't be remade. The studio told him unless it was remade no one here would see it. While that's not totally true, I see their point. The fact is, unless it's made here the vast majority of people don't want to see it. And that's a shame.

That's why there is all this publicity about finally having a film adaptation of "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo." Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no matter how great Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are, they won't be alone. There is already a film adaptation of the book, made in Sweden, where the books were written.

I am a homer as much as anyone. I think America is pretty great, despite its flaws, but we don't hold the license on creativity in the world. There are some pretty great things going on other places. Take "The Office" for example. It didn't start here. Sure, we put our own spin on it, but that was a British show first.

And, all apologies to Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, David Letterman, and Jon Stewart, but the best talk show in the world right now is produced in England. It's called "Top Gear," and it's hilarious.

So what's my point? It's all well and good to support American creativity, but it doesn't hurt to try something from another sphere. You never know, you might actually like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43