Dwelling on the Hereafter

Clint Eastwood's latest film, "Hereafter," opened today. I generally like Eastwood's films, the style he brings, and the earnestness of the storytelling. But with "Hereafter," I couldn't help but be consumed with considering the topic — what happens when we die.

"Hereafter" is a beautiful film, but it joins a long line of Hollywood stories that try to explore the idea of what happens when our lives on this Earth end. Clearly, this is a topic that is of concern to everyone, including believers. As I watched the film and thought about that topic, I couldn't help but think of the recent conversations I have been a part of.

Recently in staff we looked at the idea of Heaven. Revelations 21:1-5, the text for Sunday's message, focuses on the new Heaven. The question was raised about what our idea of Heaven was, and even in that room there was a diverse lot of answers.

As Christians, we might feel more secure in knowing that physical death is not the end, but that doesn't mean we have all the answers. I realized, when that question was asked, that I didn't really have a definitive idea of what Heaven will look like. My faith offers me the assurance that this life is not the end, but I have to admit I don't really know what the next phase will be like.

Then I couldn't help but feel sorry for all those that see physical death as the end. How lonely a thought that must be. I think the reason so many try to figure out what happens after death is a fear of our own mortality. And while it's good to wonder and to try and answer those questions, we have to focus on living our lives to the fullest as well.

At the men's retreat last weekend, Graham talked with the men about the theory that the world will end in May of 2011. He asked, if that was true, would it change the way you're living your life? I think that's the question we all have to ask ourselves, especially Christians. When you put your faith in the Lord, it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. How are you living your journey?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43