Options for Halloween

Yesterday I bemoaned the choices at the local theaters. Over the next couple weeks, I will be offering a few films I like in a variety of genres. Considering today is Halloween, I decided to start with five horror films I like. The films are listed in ascending order.

5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)
This film, co-written and directed by a Biola University graduate, is a hybrid exorcism-court room drama film. It offers plenty of food for thought and Christian themes as well. There are some chilling moments, but this one is mild enough to watch with a variety of audiences. I covered it in my Faith in Film class this summer and will cover it with the high school group Wednesday. I think the film offers some interesting talking points for Christians, as was the intent of the filmmakers.

4. Halloween (1979)
This film is what I would consider the first modern slasher film. Some give that title to "Psycho," but I think this John Carpenter film was really a first of its kind, and it still holds up 31 years later. Though it suffered through a poor re-make from Rob Zombie a few years ago, the original "Halloween" remains a horror movie classic and a must see for fans of the genre.

3. Lady in White (1988)
This independent film was one of the first movies to really scare me as a child. Then I watched it later as a senior in high school, and it still gave me chills. In fact, whenever I hear the song from this movie played in other places — including in other movies — the hairs on my arm stand on end. It may not be the most frightening film by modern standards, but it is a movie that remembers that it's not blood and guts but storytelling that really generates scary moments.

2. Jaws (1975).
This film from Steven Spielberg is a classic. It's the reason I will never feel totally comfortable in the ocean, something we can all probably identify with given the recent shark attack on the Central Coast. This film benefits from some great filmmaking techniques and really builds the suspense. I usually like to watch it around the Fourth of July, but it works any time you want a well-made scary movie.

1. Scream (1996)
This is the forerunner of the modern slasher movement. While I'm not pleased with where horror movies have gone (way too gory), I think this film was one of the most important of the 20th Century. It ushered in a new era and a new style and, nearly 15 years later, it still holds up. If you're looking for a horror movie this Halloween, you can't go wrong with "Scream."

Comments

  1. did you ever see the jaws biography on A and E? it was fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best documentaries on "Jaws" is on the actual anniversary edition DVDs. It is amazing to me that most of the iconic parts of the film were accidents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43