Tackling the Tough Topics

I remember when I was in middle school, my friend John and I used to catch up on our Bible reading during church services. One day, I noticed John shifting as he read. He saw me looking and showed me what he was reading, encouraging me to look it up. I did. That passage was Genesis chapter 19.

I have never forgotten the basic content of the chapter from that first reading. I was looking forward to hitting that text in Bible study so I could see what Graham would say, and even mentioned it a couple times. So, of course, naturally I was the one chosen to lead Bible study on this difficult chapter.

For those unfamiliar, the passage deals with Lot, his family, and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Not exactly a light topic. I firmly believe that, as is referenced in the Scriptures, every passage in the Bible serves a purpose and is useful to help us grow. With some, you have to dig deeper than with others.

As I dug into Genesis 19, looking past the narrative to the issue behind it, I thought about things in a different way. Even in the midst of a challenging story, there are important lessons about faith that can be learned.

Lot put himself in a position where he was surrounded by people that maintained unhealthy lifestyles. Given that, we shouldn't be surprised that he and his family were negatively affected. This is a cautionary lesson for all of us.

Additionally, though it's a challenging passage, it offers and example of the way God answers our prayers, sometimes in unexpected ways. In chapter 18, Abraham pleads to save the righteous in Sodom. He is really pleading for protection for his family. The text says God "remembered Abraham" and delivered Lot and his family from Sodom before it was destroyed.

Finally, Genesis 19 is a great example of how God can use anything, even our acts of depravity and brokenness, to accomplish his will on Earth. Through the children born of the union between Lot and his daughters the Ammonites and Moabites were born. Though both groups clashed with the Israelites throughout the Old Testament, one Moabite — Ruth — stands out as an example of faith and is actually part of the Earthly lineage of Jesus Christ. God can use anything, even when we can't understand it at the time. God is in control, he's bigger than us, and he has a plan for this world and the people in it.

I guess my point is that even passages that are challenging can have a powerful and positive affect on our Christian walk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43