A Western Feel

I saw a couple trailers last week that reminded me that, while it isn't a major part of our cinematic landscape as it once was, westerns are still alive. This Christmas we're getting the Coen Brothers take on "True Grit," starring Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. Then, this summer, we're getting the strange genre mash up "Cowboys & Aliens" starring Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig.

That got me thinking about westerns I like, so I thought I would post my top five. Again, these lists are personal favorites by genre. This isn't my favorite genre, so I tend to gravitate toward newer films. And, as always, films only appear once on my lists by genre.

Here are my five favorite westerns in ascending order:

5. Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
This film from director Robert Rodriguez continues his El Mariachi series with Antonio Banderas. I happen to like this one the best because I think the action, comedy, and story work the best. That could also be because it has a sneaky fabulous performance from Johnny Depp. This is more of an action-oriented film, but it's my favorite of his films.

4. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
This re-make of a classic 1957 western made my Top 10 list in 2007. I love the performances from Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. A classically understated film, it was the right mixture of technique, acting, and story for me.

3. Young Guns (1988)
Chock this one up to being part of my childhood, but I've probably seen this movie about 50 times. I like the action sequences and the performers. It has a cool shoot out sequence and it's legacy has been forever tarnished by a ridiculous sequel. It also bears no resemblance to the historical record. I like it anyway, but there's not a lot of justification for liking it.

2. Silverado (1985)
This is probably my dad's favorite western, and he was the one who first introduced it to me. It's probably the most traditional western on this list. It has a fantastic ensemble cast (Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Linda Hunt, Jeff Goldblum, Brian Dennehy, and a young Kevin Costner) and a good story. The writing and directing from Lawrence Kasdan is strong too.

1. Tombstone (1993)
Good cast, funny lines ("I'll be your huckleberry"), and a great shootout. A couple Wyatt Earp films came out around the same time, but this is the one I liked best. Good performance from Kurt Russell in the lead role, but I think it's Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday that sells it for me.

I'm sure this list made all true fans of the genre want to burst into tears, so please feel free to add a comment with your favorites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43