Looking for Laughs

Last week I listed my five favorite horror movies and said I would be listing off favorites in a variety of genres in the coming weeks. Well, with "Due Date" opening in theaters today, I thought it was a good time for me to list off comedies I keep coming back to. Let's hope "Due Date" delivers the laughs and these deliver a few chuckles for you at home.

First, I'll say comedy isn't my favorite genre. I don't think I can accurately provide a formula for why comedies hit for me or don't, but I think it has to do with the people, the story, the situation, and my mood.

But here's five I can watch over and over again in ascending order.

5. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
I love the Coen Brothers, but I am not a typical Coen Brothers fan. The comedies they've made that I love aren't usually the most popular, while the comedies they have made that are critical favorites don't always resonate with me. I think "Hudsucker" is a good example of this. I love this comedy, though it was a bit of a tough choice for me between this and "Barton Fink," another excellent black comedy from the Coen Brothers. I like the light-hearted feel of "Hudsucker," the great performance from Tim Robbins and the ensemble cast, and the retro feel. This is a fun holiday story, it's a quirky Coen Brothers story, and it's a good film.

4. Juno (2007)
This is a film that grows on me more every time I see it. I loved the trailer and couldn't wait for the film. I wasn't disappointed. Early a lot of the credit for this film was given to screenwriter Diablo Cody. Though she deserves praise, I think a lot of the reason this film hit was the cast and director Jason Reitman who hasn't made a bad film yet. More on him later in this list, though. I like the story of this film and the way this film handles the subject matter. There was a lot made about this film promoting teen pregnancy by conservative watchdog groups. I don't think it does. I also think it promotes a culture of life. Watch it again with that idea in mind.

3. The Hangover (2009)
The newest film on this list, and definitely the most "adult" comedy on this list. Again, this is a product of story, cast, timing, and filmmakers. Everything came together in the perfect way to create this unique, memorable film experience. Now, we'll have to see what happens to the legacy of this film over the next few years. I'm looking forward to "Due Date," which features Zack Galifianakis and director Todd Phillips again, but I have my doubts about a "Hangover" sequel. This movie was great and unique. You have to hope they don't ruin it with a needless sequel.

2. Office Space (1999)
This film made TPS Reports a part of the culture. Easily one of the funniest films ever made, featuring a legendary performance from Ron Livingston. No matter what Livingston does the rest of his career, I will always remember him fondly for "Office Space." I loved this movie when I saw it in high school and college, but I have to say it means a lot more to me now that I've been a part of the working world. There are so many funny things about this movie it's impossible to make a list. Again, this probably plays better to adults.

1. Thank You for Smoking (2005)
This film was my pick for best film of 2005, and I still think it holds up as one of the best films of the last decade. This film is a sarcastic take on politics and persuasion. This was Reitman's first feature-length film and might still be his best ("Up In The Air" is close for me). I love the way this film is put together and I think Aaron Eckhart gives a great performance in the lead role. If you haven't seen this film, give it a try. You'll be glad you did. And, for those that are concerned, it doesn't really promote smoking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43