Our Daily Bread

Today we continued our look at The Lord's Prayer with the tough middle section. "Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors." That's truly a loaded section that provides plenty of food for thought. Today I thought I would tackle the first half of that, about praying for our daily needs.

As a longtime Christian I understand the principle that we are not to worry about the future but trust that the Lord will provide for our needs daily. But that's not always so easy for me.

I have always admired people that have the ability to live in the moment. For me, I have a tendency to think about the long term plan and consequences. Sometimes that is good, but sometimes it can leave you trapped by self-doubt and worry.

In Matthew 6:34, Jesus says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I don't think it's a coincidence that this admonition appears in the same chapter as The Lord's Prayer. It's part of the same sermon, in fact.

When we pray for our daily bread, we demonstrate trust that God will provide for our needs daily. That's an awesome and a humbling thought that I will be working on carrying with me in a real way this week. I hope you'll do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43