Sci-Fi Classics

Given how bad "Skyline" is, I figured now was a good time to continue my look at films I like in different genres with Sci-Fi films. This gives you a few options to consider as an alternative to "Skyline."

Again, the rules of these lists are films can only appear on one list, so though they may have many genres I pick the one I think makes the most sense. Picks appear in ascending order.

5. Transformers (2007)
I told you I like Michael Bay movies. I think this is one of his best action films, and not just because it repeatedly uses Linkin Park songs. (Though, on a side note, it's hard not to wonder if this film was specifically targeted to me). This film could fall into a lot of genres (action, comic-book, toy-based film, comedy, etc.), but I picked Sci-Fi because it is about alien robot warriors that that the shape of Chevrolet vehicles. I think that seems like a fair assessment. This was one of the gems of the summer of 2007 and remains a fun movie to watch.

4. Donnie Darko (2001)
There really is no easy way to describe the plot of this film. It's set in the 1980s, has some great performances, and is totally trippy. It's a time travel tale that made everyone think writer-director Richard Kelly was destined for greatness. A few years and a few films later, it seems like it might have been an incredible fluke. This film features a great lead performance from a young Jake Gyllenhaal and a weird, sci-fi story.

3. Serenity (2005)
Saying this film has a niche audience is an understatement. It's a space western, set in the future where everyone speaks English and Chinese. It's a comedy, romance, action, western, sci-fi space film. As a stand alone film it works and is entertaining, but "Serenity" is really a cinematic cap to the short-lived Joss Whedon show "Firefly." I loved the show and the film. The cast is incredible (Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk, and Gina Torres among them). Whedon does a great job of bringing it all together. This is a wildly underrated film and TV series.

2. Independence Day (1996)
I can only hope the makers of "Skyline" watch this movie this weekend and weep. This is the ultimate alien attack, attempt to destroy civilization, and get beaten back by Will Smith movie. This film has a great ensemble cast and is a perfect hybrid of the disaster and sci-fi genre. One of my favorite movies from my formative years and still a fun one to watch.

1. The Matrix (1999)
This movie was revolutionary in terms of its cinematic techniques and the way it presented its story. Sometimes I think "The Matrix" lost a little luster because of the mediocre sequels that followed, but the original film remains an iconic classic. I can remember going to see this movie on the IMAX at midnight in college and being sucked in despite having seen it a dozen times previous. If every director has one masterpiece in them, this is it for The Wachowski Brothers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43