Veterans' Day movies

In honor of Veterans' Day (which is tomorrow in case you weren't aware), I thought I would list my favorite war/soldier movies. I have been going through different genres and, eventually, I will probably go through my favorite movies of all time regardless of genre. Also, with these lists, once a film has been used, I eliminate it from other categories. So for movies that fit in multiple genres, I pick the one that I think fits best.

So, here are my picks in ascending order:

5. Taps (1981)
An underrated military school saga. Features compelling performances from a young Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, and Tom Cruise. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the film is, in 1981 when the film was made, the three actors didn't have defined roles, so all are seemingly playing against the character types they get now. That makes it fascinating and compelling. And for those that think Cruise only showed flashes of his acting ability late in his career, look again.

4. Schindler's List (1993)
A second film in this category that one might not traditionally think of for this genre, but this is one half of Steven Spielberg's World War II cannon. This film is hard to watch and was certainly deserving of it's Academy Award accolades. This is probably Liam Neeson's best performance.

3. Pearl Harbor (2001)
I have an unabashed love of director Michael Bay. I guess he appeals to my occasional love of overly commercial films. This isn't the deepest movie, but I like Pearl Harbor. I would recommend the director's cut, which focuses more on the gritty realism of the battle than on the love triangle. That part doesn't bother me as much as it does some, but it's certainly not where Bay is at his best. He is at his best with explosions, and this movie has plenty.

2. Gettysburg (1993)
One of my favorite books is Michael Sharra's "The Killer Angels." "Gettysburg" is a very literal adaptation of that book, and it is a fantastic film about the turning point in the Civil War. I love the Civil War era, which makes this film right up my alley, but I love the performances here as well. Jeff Daniels is great at Lt. Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, one of my favorite historical figures. And Martin Sheen does a great job as Robert E. Lee. This film is really long, but it's worth it.

1. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
There has been no gaff at the Academy Awards larger than the fact that "Shakespeare in Love" won Best Picture over "Saving Private Ryan." To this day, more than a decade after it's release, "Private Ryan" remains a popular and revered film. The opening sequence is as tough to watch as any I've seen, and this is a compelling film. Just an incredible performance from Tom Hanks, right up there with his work in "Forrest Gump." This is the crown jewel in Spielberg's World War II cannon ("Private Ryan," "Schindler's List," "Band of Brothers," and "The Pacific"). Put together, I argue no filmmaker has done more to chronicle WWII from all sides than Spielberg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43