A look back at the year that was

With 2010 fading away this week, I have decided to fill my blog with a list of Top 10s, including my favorite songs, TV shows, and, of course, films of the year. Today I'm kicking it off with my favorite moments of 2010. I decided to go in chronological order.

January 5, Boise St. upends TCU
I didn't have many college bowl games I cared about, in fact with Alabama playing for the title I didn't even watch the National Championship game. But this bowl game between two little schools that were shut out of a run at the year-end title was worth watching. It was fun watching with friends, too, as Boise State kept it's unbeaten streak alive in the Fiesta Bowl, kicking off a year-long run for the NCAA title that came up just short in late November.

February 9, The Blog Begins
It's hard to believe it's only been 11 months of blogging, but it's been a blast. On Tuesday, February 9 this odyssey began and it's been a blast ever since.

February 17, Ash Wednesday Service
I have never been part of an Ash Wednesday Service, so it was neat to be part of something like this. One of our best services of the year, this experience kicked off an annual tradition.

April 22, Tim Tebow and Donald Miller
The best conference I attended this year was Catalyst West, and the highlight of the conference, for me, was hearing Donald Miller speak. I have since heard a number of his lectures on podcast and read two books. On that same day, my favorite team drafted my favorite college player, Tim Tebow. It was a banner day.

May 1, hosting the Presbytery Meeting
Months of work went into the concept, set-up, and execution, but it was fun to invite representatives of all the churches that helped Highlands through the years to come and see what God is doing in Paso Robles.

May 22, Glee Live
The best concert I saw in 2010 was a live show featuring the cast of "Glee" at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles. It was a long day (going down and back in one afternoon), but the show was so incredible it was more than worth it.

June 7, Faith in Film begins
Faith in Film was an idea for a long time that finally came to fruition when my class began on Monday, June 7. It was a new, exciting experience for me and I loved sharing my passion with others in our Highlands community.

June 17, The Lakers win the Title
I love the Los Angeles Lakers, and in 2008 I was excited when they got to play the Boston Celtics for the title. Of course, it didn't turn out as Lakers fans would have hoped. Two years later, the seven-game battle decided in an 83-79 win in Los Angeles was just that. The year before I missed the title game while traveling, but in 2010 I watched every glorious minute.

July 20-24, Triennium
Getting to see that many high schoolers come together was incredible. Hearing Graham deliver his message was amazing. Getting caught in a tornado warning was surreal and memorable. And getting bumped off our flight and having to travel around the country was something I'll never forget.

September 6, Fantasy Draft
I have never played Fantasy Football before, so this year I decided to give it a try. It has been a strange, frustrating, and thrilling experience at different points this year. But, since I'm in our league's title game, I guess I can't complain too much.

October 29, Theater 3 Performs
Every Sunday our worship band draws me in, but this concert experience was special. Great crowd, great energy, and a great time of music and fellowship.

November 2, Election Day
Most of the time I sit and watch election returns, interested in how they will turn out but still just a casual observer. It's so much different to be a part of it. This year I had the honor of working on the campaign for my friend and colleague, Katy Griffin. Watching the returns come in was a great cap to an exciting election period, and it was especially great that we won.

December 11, Ski Patrol
After a couple years of rain, it was clear skies and giant crowds at this year's Victorian Vine Street Showcase. Getting to be a part of this year's Highlands Ski Patrol from beginning to end was a blast.

December 26, Tebow wins
This year, thanks to the packed Christmas schedule, I celebrated Christmas with my family on Sunday, Dec. 26. It was an incredible family celebration made that much sweeter when Tim Tebow, in his first home start, led the Broncos to a 24-23 win. It's been a lame year for Denver, but that win was sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43