A Savior is Born

Merry Christmas!

After a few whirlwind days, it's hard to believe Christmas Day is here. Of course, it's also funny to think how some traditions changed. When I was little, I used to practically wake up at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning so that I could run out and go through my stocking — always my favorite part of the Christmas experience because that was where the good stuff was hidden. (And the stocking was giant).

This year, after getting home a touch after midnight and getting to sleep at about 1:30 a.m., all I wanted to do was sleep until my alarm went off. Welcome to adulthood, I guess...

Still, it's good to know that some traditions remain. Perhaps my favorite Christmas tradition is the Christmas Day trip to the theater with my family. It was born when I was in high school and we saw the film "Amistad." Ever since, it's been an annual tradition. Sometimes the movies are good, sometimes not, but it's always a fun part of the day.

Of course, the real reason to celebrate this Christmas is because it marks the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Sure, it probably didn't happen in late December, but the actual date doesn't matter as much as our taking time out each year to remember the significance of the event itself.

I don't know why, but I've had the words to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" stuck in my head for days (might be the "Glee" Christmas CD). But I think they capture the sentiment of the day.

God rest you merry Gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay;
Remember Christ our Saviour,
Was born on Christmas-day;
To save our souls from Satan's power,
Which long time had gone astray:
This brings Tidings of Comfort and Joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43