Documenting the World

One of the best series that I saw in 2010 was ESPN's "30 For 30." The series is a celebration of the biggest sports stories of the last 30 years. The series is a set of documentaries in which ESPN allowed filmmakers to tell one of the biggest sports stories from the 30 years ESPN has been on the air. The first half of that collection, which includes some incredible films I've chronicled in past blogs, will be released on DVD today.

That got me thinking, what are the best documentaries I've seen. So I thought I would continue my look at my favorite films by genre with a genre that's often overlooked, documentaries. This list includes films from 2009 and older, otherwise I think I'd have "Waiting for Superman" on this list. It's an incredible film that was released this year and will, likely, earn an Academy Award nomination. But as I wanted to make these films that have been out at least a year, sadly it does not qualify for this list. However, the films that did qualify are well worth checking out.

Here's the list in ascending order:

5. Super Size Me (2004)
This documentary, by Morgan Spurlock, puts the fast food industry under the microscope. It is the reason that I haven't had McDonald's much since I saw it. It is compelling, incredible, and unbelievable. When you realize the damage you're doing to yourself though "convenient" food options, it changes your perspective. It's incredible to see how a month on the McDonald's diet nearly killed Spurlock. You won't look at the golden arches the same way.

4. Paper Clips (2004)
I dare you to watch this without getting choked up. This documentary shows you the powerful impact a good teacher can have, as a simple idea turns into a life-changing project for this group of Tennessee middle school students studying the Holocaust. An incredible, emotional journey.

3. No End in Sight (2007)
I'm not much for Bush bashing or for bashing any politician for the sake of a few laughs. That's why I avoided Michael Moore's documentary on the war in Iraq. This documentary, however, is more interested in offering personal testimony and leaving it up to you, the viewer, to decide how you feel. The filmmakers clearly have an opinion on the subject, but they attempt to interview representatives on both sides and present facts, as any good documentary should. I found this to be a compelling, thought-provoking piece.

2. The Cove (2009)
This was a haunting documentary that won the Academy Award last year. It's about dolphin slaughter in Japan, but really that description doesn't begin to capture the depth of this film. It was a haunting, emotional, and beautifully told film. It gives you a lot to think of, especially as Christians, when you consider that we are supposed to be stewards of the natural resources of this world.

1. Bowling for Columbine (2002)
Michael Moore isn't for everyone. He has a unique style that is very opinionated, and you certainly get that in this film. I am not a hard core supporter of the Second Amendment, nor do I believe all guns should be taken from people, which is probably why I was fascinated by this film. Though Moore certainly lets his opinions be known, the facts and interviews presented in this film are compelling on their own. This is an entertaining film that sheds some light on a serious subject in an interesting way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43