Yule Tide Cheer

This week has been filled with holiday episodes and specials. Sitting through a couple last night, it got me thinking about my favorite Christmas movies. So, in the spirit of the season, I thought I would share.

Obviously, if you want a Biblical take on the importance of the season, "The Nativity Story" (2006) is an awesome representation. It makes it even more impressive to consider it was brought to us by the same director who gave us "Twilight."

This list is more traditional (or less traditional depending on your view) Christmas fare. So here's my picks in ascending order.

5. Love Actually (2003)
This film is a British comedy that is set on and around Christmas. It's a patchwork of stories, not all of which are great. But I love the comedy and many of the vignettes. This is kind of a fun, sweet Christmas film.

4. Elf (2003)
There aren't many Will Ferrell films I like, but you'd have to be a cotton-headed ninny muggins to avoid laughing with this holiday comedy. Great work from Farrell and a fun holiday theme. It probably didn't deserve to be adapted into a Broadway musical, but it does deserve a place on the TV during the Christmas season.

3. Die Hard (1988)
Some might object to this film being on this list, but I would point out that Christmas is integral to the plot of this film. One of my favorite action films, it always gets me into the Christmas spirit too. To each his or her own, I guess.

2. A Christmas Story (1983)
You'd be hard pressed to find a more iconic story about an American Christmas. There are a lot of fun things about this movie that are generally accepted into the lexicon of every day speech, in fact when my dogs are running wild I still call them the Bumpus Hounds. This is a great Christmas classic.

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
It isn't Christmas without Charlie Brown. This is the only film I have to watch before Christmas ends, and I watch it at least once every year. Not only is it a sweet story, it delivers a great Gospel message. This truly is Charles Schultz' greatest Christmas present to the world. Though it's 45 years old, the story remains a timeless Christmas classic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43