Light in the Darkness

I know it's never a good sign when I get a phone call from a co-worker prior to 9 a.m. on a Friday, and today was no exception. Friday is my day off. It's usually the one day of the week where I try to take a break from the Highlands world and think about and focus on other things, or nothing depending on what kind of week it's been.

Since the last eight days have been CRAZY, I was looking forward to a quiet day of solitude. It didn't happen. I got an early morning request to do an errand to kick things off, then that aforementioned call from Highlands, which changed the course of my day.

It seems someone, or some group of someones, decided to act out by defacing our cross. I came down, surveyed the damage, talked with the police, talked with my co-workers, and that's how my day kicked off. I went through a cycle of emotions. I was angry. I now had extra work, extra stress, and extra stuff to think about. I was sad. It was disappointing to think someone would deface our property.

As I drove to complete my errand (you can't say no to family), I was dwelling on what was happening. Then something clicked for me. Instead of feeling angry and sad for myself, I started to feel sad for the people that defaced the cross. Let me explain.

This world can be a cold, cruel, and dark place, and when all you have is the things of this world to give you hope, it's easy to give into the darkness. One of my favorite movies is "The Dark Knight." Some people have asked me why I love the film so much. I think I love it because it's a movie that understands the importance of hope, and understands the nature of the brokenness and darkness in our world.

One of my favorite lines, delivered by Harvey Dent, talks about the need to penetrate the darkness. He says, "The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming."

The sad part about the film is that, even though the filmmakers know about the need to pierce the darkness, they don't know where the hope comes from. I think that's probably true for the person that defaced our cross. I thought about how sad it is that someone thought that was the only way they could provide hope, satisfaction, and happiness in their lives. Then a funny think happened, I couldn't help but feel a tremendous need to pray for them.

You see, we are blessed because, as followers of Jesus Christ, we know where our hope comes from. We know the one who is stronger than the darkness of this world, the one who has pierced the veil of this world and opened the door to salvation for us. That's what the cross represents to us, and it's something that is stronger than any amount of hateful paint that could be splashed across it.

"Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

I hope wherever they are, those that defaced our cross truly get to experience what it's like to be in the light some day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43