Playoff Promise

I remember the last time the Denver Broncos were in the playoffs. Jake Plummer was our quarterback, we beat the Patriots at home in the Divisional Round and then hosted the AFC title game against Pittsburgh. I thought we were going to the Super Bowl, but it didn't happen.

That year in the draft we moved up to take quarterback Jay Cutler with the No. 11 pick. He was supposed to be the foundation of the franchise and lead us back to playoff prominence. On Sunday, Cutler started his first playoff game, leading his team to a 35-24 victory.

The only problem is the team he led to the playoffs was the Chicago Bears. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Cutler. I have been pulling for him all year and I hope he has another great game next Sunday. But when I watched him out there today, I couldn't help but wonder what could have been.

When Cutler was drafted in 2006, there was the promise that he'd be a fixture in the playoffs for years to come. It looks like that will be the case, the only problem is that it's for the Bears. Meanwhile the Broncos went 4-12 this season and haven't been back to the playoffs since losing that AFC title game to Pittsburgh.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43