Academy's Biggest Snub

In one week, the best of the year in film will be celebrated at the Academy Awards. Every year there is debate about which of the nominees should walk away with the awards. There's also debate about those left off the list.

There are plenty of quibbles one could make. I, personally, think that Christopher Nolan should have received a Best Director nomination. There are also a few acting nominations I might have chosen differently, and I would have preferred "Get Low" and "The Town" in the Best Picture race as opposed to "Winter's Bone" and "The Kids Are All Right."

But, to me, the most egregious oversight in 2010 was the failure to include "Waiting for Superman" in the Best Documentary race. Every once in a while a movie comes out that really speaks to me or touches me. Something that makes me thing, challenges me, and moves me. This year, that movie was "Waiting for Superman."

I was reminded of that on Sunday as I watched the film again. Knowing how it would turn out didn't abate my emotional intensity as I watched children struggle to succeed in an educational system that is broken.

I have heard many reasons why people didn't want to see the film, but let me give you the most important reason why you should. Our children are our future. Education is the building block upon which we ensure the success of that future. Right now, our education system does not work. There are no easy solutions, and this film doesn't advocate for any. It also doesn't push an agenda, or the idea that charter schools are our only hope. But it asks those hard questions. It puts the visages of the victims of our societal neglect in front of us, and it asks you to be part of the solution. I can't think of anything more important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43