The End is Near

Today we watched an opening clip from the TV show "Friday Night Lights." When it premiered five years ago, I didn't think it would work and almost didn't watch. But I did, and I was blown away.

The Super Bowl might be over, but the biggest football game of the year takes place on Wednesday night as "Friday Night Lights" airs its final episode. And the game might not even be the best thing about the show.

It's fitting, to me, that we began the Real Modern Family series with a clip from this show, because its depiction of marriage, parenting, and the importance of the traditional nuclear family is its greatest legacy. No show captures the beauty and partnership of marriage like "Friday Night Lights." It's not always perfect, but it's real. And that's a tribute to the writers, directors, and actors Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler.

The sad thing, to me, is that this show has never gotten the respect it deserves, or the audience. I can hardly believe that it's ending on Wednesday, and I know I'm certainly not ready. That's the mark of a great show. When it airs it's last episode, you're still hungry for more.

For those that haven't seen the show, the fifth season will be replayed in its entirety on NBC beginning on April 15. I urge you to tune in. You won't be sorry you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43