My Friends' Wedding

Today was a special day. I have known my friend John since I was 12 years old, a seventh grader. Together we've shared many major life experiences, good times and sorrowful times.

This week has afforded me a chance to think about such times and share them as John went through one of the biggest joyful experiences of his life; his wedding day. For the past three days myself and a group of John's closest friends have been sharing memories, exchanging stories, offering advice, and gathering together to share this experience.

A lot of time in TV shows and films are devoted to weddings, which are incredible, joyful experiences. But it's really not until you're going through a wedding like this that you think about all the moments that never get captured.

One of my favorite moments came as we gathered in the ready room prior to the ceremony. There was John, 15 minutes from the ceremony, looking dapper in his tux, having taking hundreds of pictures, and quietly journaling. I'm sure years from now, when he picks up that journal, it will bring back all the memories of this day.

We love weddings because they represent hope, possibility, and the fulfillment of a promise. As John's dad, who was my pastor growing up, read the text in Genesis about God removing a rib from Adam to make Eve, I couldn't help but remember what we talked about as part of the Real Modern Family series. We all need that one thing from our partner. Someone to be with us in the Wow moments and the Woe moments, to borrow a phrase from today.

As John's brother said during the reception, his new wife, Amy, "gets it." She gets him, and he gets her. How lucky we are when God brings those people into our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43