Who are we living for

I have been reading the book "Crazy Love" by Frances Chan. He proposes some interesting ideas as we look at our life here on Earth, our relationship with God, and how the two should and do work together.

The second chapter focused on the concept of our limited time here, and how we should make the most of that time. Many, myself included, get wrapped up in all the things we have to do. I remember when I was in my previous job, work sometimes dominated my thoughts while I was in the office, when I was at home at night, and when I got up in the morning. That can lead to pressure, stress, and worry, all of which runs contrary to what God says our lives are supposed to be like.

The chapter includes a quote from Frederick Buechner, which reads, "Intellectually we all know that we will die, but we do not really know it in the sense that the knowledge becomes a part of us. We do not really know it in the sense of living as though it were true. On the contrary, we tend to live as though our lives would go on forever."

I am often struck by that idea. It's the difference between knowledge and understanding. And sometimes it takes something that pulls you out of your own headspace for something to become real. This happened for me the other day as I was watching TV.

I was watching a hospital show, and the patient of the week was a normal, seemingly healthy guy. He came in with indigestion and, soon the doctors realized his heart valves were about to rupture. They rushed him into surgery, but it was too late. He died. The doctors consoled themselves with the fact it was just a quirk of nature, that every so often this problem occurs and nothing can be done to save people from dying, no matter who they are, how old they are, or what they've done with their life up to that point.

It might have made those characters feel better, but it didn't do much for me. I spent that night thinking about dying, and what that would mean, and what I had done with my life up to that point. It was in that moment that it really kind of took a hold of me, and it filled me with this weird rush that caused me to think about my life, my priorities, and what were really important.

I think that's what Frances Chan is driving at. I love the line at the end of the chapter when he's talking about a friend who spends almost all his free time serving God. He said, when it's all over, the last thing he's going to think is "I wish I had spent more time at work." But we might wish we'd spent more time living our faith.

None of us knows how much time we get, the best we can hope for is to do all we can with the time we're giving. It's not easy. It takes work every day. But it's worth putting in the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43