Scream Again

I remember the first time I saw "Scream." It took a little convincing to get my parents to pick it up off the rental shelves, but then we popped it in. It wasn't a big hit with all my family, so I watched most of it myself.

I was instantly drawn the style of the film. While following the conventions of the genre, it poked fun at the conventions of the genre, then turned the formula on its head a bit. The writing was crisp, the story was interesting, and the film revived the slasher genre.

When I was in college, I actually cited "Scream" as the re-birth of the slasher genre in a research paper on the art form. Some may not be that interested in slasher films, and of course I'll admit they're an acquired taste, but I've always found the films entertaining. From a strictly film theory standpoint, there are some interesting things to consider with the slasher genre. Not the least of which is that in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when the modern slasher film was born, they were a sort of morality tale.

Of course, "Scream" kicked off a new wave that was a bit of a departure from that structure. I wrote once that I thought it was one of the more important films of the late 20th Century because of the way it re-invigorated the genre.

But aside from film theory, I liked the film because I found it entertaining. I remember sitting — in the dark by myself — watching the events of the first film unfold. I was in high school and I was trying to figure out who the killer was. I ate up the film, and it's first sequel, on video. In fact, "Scream" was one of the first films I bought on my own in college.

Finally, when "Scream 3" debuted, I was able to see one in the theater. But I always felt that the "final" installment was lacking. There was something about the story construct and the end of the narrative that didn't work. Kind of like "Godfather, Part 3."

It's hard to believe, but it's been 15 years since "Scream" made it's way into theaters, topping $100 million at the Box Office. And, apparently, I wasn't the only one that felt the series was incomplete. On Friday, more than 10 years since "Scream 3," the whole crew is back for "Scream 4."

I don't know if this new film will hold the same sway at the original, or if it will feel dated. But 15 years ago "Scream" re-invigorated the slasher genre, and I'm hoping that "Scream 4" will do the same. The genre has gotten too graphic in recent years, as the traditional slasher film has morphed into something much more gruesome. My hope is that "Scream 4" will feel like a good old fashioned blast from the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43