Favorites by Genre — Drama

A while ago I started recounting some of my favorite films by genre. I will wrap that up today with a look at my favorite dramatic films. Beginning in June, I'll be listing my favorite 25 films of all time on Fridays and Saturdays.

For now, my rules in making this list were simple: films appear in ascending order and no film appears on more than one list, so I picked the list I thought fit best.

5. The Paper (1994)
Starring: Michael Keaton, Marisa Tomei, Glen Close, Robert Duvall, and Randy Quaid
Why I Like It: This movie could be classified as a comedy, because there are some funny moments. But it's always stood out to me as an example of what I always loved about journalism. This movie boasts a great ensemble cast — led by Keaton — and is directed by Ron Howard. It's about a day in the life of a metro editor for a New York daily newspaper. I have loved it since I first saw it.
Rating: R for strong language.

4. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Jody Foster, Ted Levine, and Scott Glenn
Why I Like It: This is perhaps the greatest thriller ever made. It has one of the most iconic villains of all time and several iconic scenes. It's one of only three films to win Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay in the same year. Hopkins delivers and incredible and chilling performance, and Foster is great as his foil. None of the many sequels and prequels in this film franchise have ever stacked up to the original.
Rating: R for disturbing grisly images and violence, strong language, and some bizarre sexual content.

3. The Dark Knight (2008)
Starring: Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, and Heath Ledger
Why I Like It: This is the best film of the last decade. No matter how many times I see it, I pick up something new. It's a genre film (superhero movie) that transcends its genre. I think it's a great piece of art and an incredibly deep and multi-layered film.
Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and some menace.

2. The Godfather (1972)
Starring: Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall and James Caan
Why I Like It: This is a classic drama. It has great characters and a fascinating story. It is an iconic classic that has been on Top 10 lists since it was released. Francis Ford Coppola does an incredible job of translating the novel for the big screen.
Rating: R

1. A Time to Kill (1996)
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Oliver Platt, Samuel L. Jackson, and Kevin Spacey
Why I Like It: An incredible courtroom drama with a lot of layers. This film touches on notions of justice, marriage, racism, and the legal system. Based on the first novel by John Grisham, this is easily the most powerful of the films adapted from his books.
Rating: R for violence and some graphic language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43