Too Old To Win?

Wednesday was my birthday. I had planned to play it low key, especially since it was a mile-marker birthday, but apparently others decided that wasn't going to happen. On Wednesday night I was where I am every Wednesday, serving in programming at Highlands. It's one of my favorite nights of the week, and is always a good time — first working with adults, then with our high school group.

After a long day, when I got home I was excited to watch the second half of the Lakers' game two win over the Dallas Mavericks. After seeing them blow the game Monday, I was sure they're make up for it on Wednesday. Apparently the Lakers didn't get the memo.

Each of the last three summers has featured a lot of basketball for me, as the Lakers have made it to the NBA Finals. With Coach Phil Jackson retiring at the end of the season, I was hopeful the Lakers would make it back to try and win again, giving Jackson his fourth Three-Peat.

It has been a tough year to watch the Lakers, as the last three years of 100+ game seasons seemed to be weighing on the Lakers core (mostly now 30+). Kobe Bryant hasn't looked like an unstoppable force, Pau Gasol seems to come and go, Derek Fisher is still beloved as a person but a liability as a defender, and you never know what you're gonna get from Andrew Bynum.

But I figured they'd all pull it together in the playoffs. After dropping a couple games to the Hornets, I was a little nervous. But they closed out the series with a flourish, so I assumed they'd be in full force against Dallas.

Wrong. After blowing an 18-point lead in game one, the Lakers got blown of the court in the second half in game two, losing both home games to fall down 2-0. And worse than that, watching the games it was clear the Lakers look a step slower and possibly too old to pull it together and win.

Looking around at this NBA playoffs, they might be in good company. The top-seeded Spurs are already lounging at home, and the Boston Celtics have looked equally unequal to the task against Miami.

On Wednesday night, announcer Steve Kerr said we were witnessing a changing of the guard in the NBA as the Lakers' title bid appeared to be going down in flames. I was a little annoyed at the time, but it's hard to disagree.

I guess it's time to ignore my postseason prediction.... But that doesn't mean I won't be pulling hard for the Lakers to turn it around tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43