Favorite Movies Countdown — No. 24

24. "Big Fish" (2003)

Starring: Albert Finney, Ewan McGregor, Billy Crudup, Allison Lohman, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, and Marion Cottilard

About: This film is based on the novel by Daniel Wallace, which is also a fascinating read. In many ways the film is like a modern day fairy tale. In 2003, I put it atop my list of the best films I saw that year. It is a bright, colorful, moving story about a father and son — at least that's what lies at the heart of "Big Fish."

The film was directed by Tim Burton. I have long admired Burton's abilities as a visual storyteller, and "Big Fish" is no exception. His use of color palate with this film is as impressive as most any of his films, but it is the human drama of this film that sticks out to me. There is a beautiful blend of humor, adventure, romance, and emotional drama in this film.

In a lot of ways this is a continuation of some of the exploration of father-son dynamics that are explore in "Edward Scissorhands," but this is a much more joyful, grounded world. Some might argue that this is the least like a Tim Burton film of any film Burton has directed — which in some ways I can understand. The emotional family core of the story is more authentic and grounded than the typically wacky world of Burton. But I think it showcases his growth and talent as a filmmaker.

The performances are all beautiful, with McGreggor/Finney capturing the larger-than-life Edward Bloom and Crudup doing some fine work as his son, Will. The final sequence, when Will finally comes to accept his father for who he is and is able to forge a bond with him in his own terms for the first time still brings me a well of emotions. This is my favorite Burton film.

For those who like fun trivia, if you look hard during the early sequences you'll catch a pre-Hannah Montana Miley Cyrus in one of her first acting roles.

Those that Just Missed the Cut:
Perhaps the hardest part of putting this list together for me was narrowing the field down to 25. I love films and there are many that I cling to for different reasons. The final few slots on this list were possibly the hardest to decide. Listed below are five that just missed the cut or, if you're an NCAA Men's College Basketball Tournament, the last five out. In no particular order.

Thank You For Smoking (2005)
I love this debut feature from Joseph Reitman. This was probably the hardest cut of all. Though one of Reitman's films did make it onto the list, this satirical film that follows a lobbyist for the tobacco industry always makes me laugh. A great performance from Aaron Eckhart in the lead role.

The Matrix (1999)
This was certainly a groundbreaking action film, but what always stood out to me was the way it seems to capture the post-modernist movement. The film encapsulates a myriad of world religions and philosophies, including Christianity, and turns it into this philosophical soup. It is a fascinating film to watch with iconic sequences and even more fascinating to dissect from an ideological standpoint.

Scream (1996)
My favorite slasher film. I have written about why I think this film was significant from a cinematic history standpoint, but I am also drawn to the wit in the script, the characters, and the storytelling. For a long time while I was in high school and college this was in my top 20 favorite films.

The Mummy (1999)
I think of this as the "Indiana Jones" for my generation. This film was the other gem of the summer of 1999, and is still one of my favorite action-comedy films. Brendan Fraser does a great job in the leading role.

About Schmidt (2002)
I love the story in this dramedy and the incredible lead performance from Jack Nicholson. I think this was one of the most overlooked and under-rated films of the last decade. It also has a story that is incredibly moving, with one of the most fascinating and powerful closing sequences I've seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43