Alpha Course, Why and How Should I Tell Others?

Tonight, we look at the topic of evangelism. This is the most important, and often the most daunting, aspect of our Christian walk. It's impossible to miss the Biblical mandate to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ.

In fact, Jesus himself extolled the importance of this mission before ascending. Matthew 28:16-20 is referred to as the "Great Commission." It says, “Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

One thing that often troubled me was that I didn't think I had an impressive story to tell. I can remember, when I was applying to Biola University, they wanted a one-page faith statement as part of the admission packet. I am a writer, but I just couldn't figure out how to write that faith statement.

You see, both within the faith community and in the world, those kind of mountaintop stories of conversion resonate with people. Even in this Alpha Course, Nicky has shared stories about people who were totally lost that embraced the call of Jesus Christ and were instantly transformed. Those stories are inspirational and powerful because they show how God works. But when you don't have a story like that, it can become easy to get frustrated.

I was born to two loving parents who introduced me to God at an early age and modeled what it meant to be a Christian — particularly the ethic of Christian service and charity — throughout my formative years. I believed in God from an early age and have been an active part of the church my whole life. It isn't that God hasn't had a powerful impact on my life — He certainly has — it's just that, to me, that didn't sound like much of a story. It didn't feel like the fodder for a great essay, and it often doesn't feel like fodder to turn other people's lives around.

Nicky offers a story in the session that really reminded me of that. He talked about a guy who invited a friend to a service. He was persistent, and eventually the friend attended and gave his life to Jesus. That friend was Billy Graham, who has probably done more to advance the faith in America than anyone. Not everyone is cut out to be Billy Graham, but we can all try to make a difference in the lives of a friend or acquaintance that is lost, and you never know how God will use that person or the connection you help forge. But we have to first take that step of faith.

Sometimes it's just a matter of fusing your interests and talents with your faith. I had long felt ill-equipped to be a leader and ambassador for Jesus Christ. I tried to live out my faith, but I didn't know how to really share it. One Sunday I was talking to Graham and my friend, Nancy, about the neat religious message that was carried in the latest Hollywood blockbuster. I told them stuff like that happens all the time and I love finding those messages. Graham asked me if I had ever thought about doing a class on that, sharing my passion and my faith with others. I hadn't. In fact, the very thought terrified me.

But after he said it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally made a list of what I would do and submitted it for approval, figuring it would get rejected and I'd be out of it. It was approved, so I started working on lessons and Faith in Film was born.

I don't know what the fruits of that effort will be. I've run two cycles, 24-weeks, and have had very fun, receptive crowds. I don't know how God will use me, or that time, or the people in that group, but He does. The important part isn't that it leads to a new Christian revival, the important part is that I took a step out, in faith, for Him.

So I guess the question for all of us is, how can you do the same? And will you do it when the opening arrives?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43