Fantasy Vick-tory?



Last year was my first foray into Fantasy Football. Sure, I've played Madden for years, and I love statistics, but I'd never taken the leap. Finally, for the 2010 season, I decided to take on the challenge. And it was 17 weeks of exhilaration and frustration, almost in equal measure.


The first thing I noticed is that it changed the way that I watched football. No longer was it just about watching my favorite teams score and win, it was about which player made the score. Second, I realized that it is impossible to separate my heart from my head when it comes to sports and, by extension, fantasy sports. If you're smart, you pick the best lineup from an unemotional, unattached perspective. If I could do that I would. But I can't. When I played Fantasy baseball with a friend one year, I picked a lineup that very closely mirrored the Atlanta Braves lineup. In my heart, it was the right thing to do. In reality, it was a one-way ticket to the basement.


So, last year was a somewhat miracle, as I ended up with Michael Vick in a charity trade and made some miraculous pick-ups as I worked my way to a second-place finish. Mostly, it was thanks to an incredible year from Vick, Brandon Lloyd, BenJarvis Green-Ellis, and Andre Johnson, as well as some great spot games from the rest of my lineup.


So enter year two. With no keepers, I was forced to consider what my draft strategy would be. Thanks to last year, I maintain an irrational Michael Vick love. (OK, I know there are some that are still not ready to forgive him, but I still think he's an example of how we can have some faith in the efficacy of the criminal justice system). Then there's Matthew Berry, ESPN fantasy guru, who is suggesting that, based on upside, Vick should be the No. 1 pick. Clearly, this doomed me a bit.


So it comes time for my draft Monday night and I'm awarded the No. 3 pick. There were a lot of ways I could go, but, you guessed it, I picked Vick. I guess I'm pushing all my chips in on him (and an irrationally large number of Broncos) to get it done. This is why you need to pick rationally, not emotionally....


Here's My Team:
QB: Vick, Tony Romo, and Kyle Orton (Must start 2)
RB: Knowshon Moreno, Pierre Thomas, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Daniel Thomas (Start 2)
WR: Greg Jennings, Brandon Lloyd, Steve Smith, Hines Ward, Emanuelle Sanders, Eddie Royal (Start 2)
TE: Owen Daniels, Aaron Hernandez (Start 1)
D/ST: Denver Broncos (Start 1)
K: Matt Prater (Start 1)
HC: Saints Coach (Start 1)


Fantasy fun (if you can call it that) begins Sunday, Sept. 11!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43