Favorite Movies Countdown — No. 5



5. The Paper (1994)


Starring: Michael Keaton, Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, Randy Quaid, and Marissa Tomei


About: "We run stupid headlines because we think they're funny. We run maimings on the front page because we got good art. And I spend three weeks bitching about my car because it sells papers. But at least it's the truth. As far as I can remeber we never ever, ever knowingly got a story wrong, until tonight." Marty McDougal, "The Paper"


None of the films on this list more accurately represents my personal, nerdy pursuits than "The Paper." It's not a particularly popular or memorable film, that is unless you connect with the story. Being a journalist at heart, a writer, this film has always appealed to me.


The film follows a day in the life of a metro editor (Keaton) for a New York City newspaper. I first saw this movie when I was in high school, and it really crystalized for me a passion for being a journalist. This film shows the highs and lows, the pain and the joy, and most of all the time pressure involved in journalism. Sadly, now, it plays more like a snapshot of a dying industry, but at the time I think it really informed the aspirations I had for my career.


This film is directed by Ron Howard and features a strong cast. I've always liked Keaton and felt he was underrated as an actor. I liked him as Batman (in the two Tim Burton Batman films, 1989's "Batman," and 1992's "Batman Returns"), and I think he gives a good performance in this film as well.


I like a lot of things about this film, but one of my favorite sections is the showdown between Keaton and Close over the issue for that day. She wants to run the safe headline they already have, while he wants to get the story right, stopping the presses to get it done. This leads to a wacky fight that is one of my favorites.


I like this movie because it's a reflection of something I'm interested in, it's got humor, and the characters are real. In many ways it feels like other offices I've been a part of. It's a hidden gem that wasn't a big hit at the time, but it's always been a big hit with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43