American Justice


I have long been concerned about what I see as our "American" notion of justice. I've thought about it quite a bit this last couple weeks in a variety of ways.

On Wednesday, we looked at the Beattitudes with the High School group. The speaker found a very unique way of breaking down the spirit of the Beattitudes. One that caught my eye was "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called Children of God." The description of our response to that was, "You refuse to declare war on others, even if the right to do so exists. You reconcile differences with other without destroying their uniqueness. You desire to bridge differences, are open to other viewpoints, and can genuinely and sincerely accept those who do not agree with you."

In groups, the students were asked to weigh in on these. Looking at the first line — you refuse to declare ware on others, even if the right to do so exists — I couldn't help but think how different that mindset is from the typical response in our society. Forgiveness and mercy are not things we seem to uphold as cultural values. Now, I'm not making a sweeping statement that no one does those things, I'm just saying that, sadly, those have become rare responses. In fact, when you see that response, it's often shocking.

Instead, we seem to push to be punitive, even when punishment has been dolled out. That's what makes the Michael Vick case so curious to me. What he did was awful, there is no denying that. When he was first arrested and on trial, I was with the chorus of those who hoped he would end up in jail. When you break the law, you should pay for your crimes. Actions should have just, reasonable consequences.

But that's where the division came. Vick paid a price, personally and professionally. He accepted his punishment and has worked to restore the faith and trust of those in his life. In many respects, I feel his story is a success story, proof the system can work as it's meant to work. Yet, there are many who refuse to forgive him and still bear him ill will. That seems to be an effect of the way our society perceives the notion of justice.

This is true of the way we portray these ideas in television shows and movies, too. I like the show "The Closer," but I was bothered, last summer, when the show introduced a sub-plot that I felt was unjust. Unable to arrest a man for a murder they knew he committed, the show's central character, Chief Johnson (Kyra Sedgwick), and several of her officers set him up to be dealt with by members of his own gang. The man was killed, and it seemed the show was indicating that justice had been done.

Following the episode, I chatted with a few people who are Christians and fans of the show who also felt that was justice. I don't, and more importantly I don't think that conforms to the Biblical model of justice. It bothered me to think that the line was being swung the other way, and just how many people, even Christians, don't see it as a problem.

Now, I'll admit that it is easy to understand the impulse. Some of the evil we see in the world today is hard to accept. There are times when I watch the news, read stories, or see fictional accounts that I honestly wonder if I would be able to stay true to my core beliefs if faced with that situation. That is part of our honest human struggle. But when we start to condone violence as a response to violence and injustice, where does it end. It is a slippery slope.

That is why I have been fascinated to see how this story has played out on "The Closer" as it heads to its final episode. It has, certainly, changed my perspective of what the people that make the show believe. The whole season has focused on the fallout of Johnson's actions, and her own internal struggle with trying to reconcile what she's done with what she says she believes.

It is rare when a TV show grapples with deeper moral questions, and it is refreshing. What I have always loved about this art form is the ability to wrestle with and ask deeper questions. And, given where our society is today, this is a question we need to seriously consider before it's too late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43