Giving Thanks


I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with a migraine. I wasn't pleased. First, I didn't want to be awake at 3:30 a.m. on a work day. Second, I didn't want to be in pain. And third, I thought it was really inconvenient. While none of those things are inaccurate, and while many people would probably feel the same, but when you put it in the scope of things, it's a relatively minor complaint.

At my fingertips I had medicine to relieve my pain, got to come to a job and a place I love, got to visit with friends and co-workers. Though I was in discomfort and tired, there was a lot to be thankful about. There are a lot of blessings I enjoyed today that most people dream about.

It can be easy, in the relative comfort of the United States, to forget how blessed we are. Even when we have minor complaints, or things don't work out as we hoped, there is still plenty to be grateful for. What I loved about Abraham Lincoln's speech, which I posted yesterday, is his giving Thanksgiving to God for all the blessings he'd received despite living during a trying period.

The Bible talks about the importance of giving thanks as a part of our daily walk with God. In Philippians, Paul talks about the importance of thanksgiving in our prayer lives. Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

We have a lot to be thankful for, even when things don't work out as we'd hoped. I wasn't excited about how I started my day, but I am thankful for the provisions God has provided me every day. God has truly blessed my life, and I know it's important to remember that even when it's easier to focus on the negative. That is how we guard our hearts and minds in Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43