On Zombies and Evangelism


I was slow to the bandwagon with "The Walking Dead." Honestly, I'm not the world's biggest zombie fan, so I didn't really see the appeal of the show. Then, over the summer, I decided to give it a try. What I found was something that was more a fascinating exploration of humanity during inhuman times than anything to do with the dead.

This second season could be accused of being underwhelming. It's hard to deny that it's a bit on the slow side in terms of plot development, but still I've been fascinated by some of the interpersonal dynamics — especially when it comes to the discussions of the dead.

On Sunday, during the show's winter finale, there was an interesting expression of the Gospel. Earlier I remarked how refreshing it was that "Dexter," a show that in no way reflects the Christian worldview, offered a fairly favorable view of Christianity and the concept of forgiveness. It was a powerful reminder of the way God speaks, even through unexpected sources.

On Sunday's episode of "The Walking Dead," a similar experience occurred. As father and daughter were arguing about what to do with their visitors, daughter reminded father of some wisdom he shared with her years earlier during a similar time of struggle. She said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

In case you didn't realize, that was the words of Jesus, quoted from John 13. I was amazed to hear Scripture openly quoted during a secular show. I have often decried the dark cultural tones ruminating in our modern modes of entertainment, but with incidents like the one Sunday, it's hard not to wonder if the tide is turning.

It's undeniable that our world is searching for something. Maybe some are starting to find what they've been searching for...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43