Pilot Roundup, Week 9


Thus, we have come to the end of the new fall shows. This will be the final pilot roundup for the fall, but once new shows come out again in January, I'll pick up the reviews again. Below is the final weigh in on "Hell on Wheels," which is awful, and my picks for the three new shows I like the best.

Sunday Nights:
"Hell on Wheels," 10 p.m. on AMC
Synopsis: This show is trying to revive the Western. It's also trying to trade on AMC's reputation for quality. For me, this show falls into the realm of many of the AMC shows in that it feels painfully slow and boring. Add to that the fact that the point is muddled, the characters lack definition and clarity, and there seems to be no point. I've watched two full shows and can remember the names of just two characters. I can actually remember more names of actors in the show than characters featured in the narrative fabric... that's a problem. I like Westerns and I am a huge Civil War geek, yet this show couldn't have been less interesting to me. That's not a good sign. This was an ambitious project, but I think it's a fail.
Pilot Grade: C
Second Episode: C-

Fall's Best New Shows:
1. Homeland, Sundays at 10 p.m. on Showtime
This show, from some of the producers of "24," has proven to be one of the most engaging new shows, and the most intriguing drama. Great performances from Claire Danes, Damien Lewis, and Mandy Patinkin. This show has been a fascinating character study with plenty of drama going on, not the least of which is a battle to prevent the next terrorist attack. The show mixes some of the best elements of "24" and does it in a less melodramatic way. This show is proof that, in terms of drama, Showtime is quickly catching up to pay cable's gold standard, HBO.

2. The New Girl, Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on FOX
2011 has been labeled the year of the resurgence of sitcoms. I've seen many of them and, frankly, I don't get it. There's tons of new comedies on TV, but most of them haven't been that good. The one exception is "The New Girl." Zooey Deschanel is very personable, and this show has been consistently funny. This show had the pilot I liked the best of all the pilots I've seen, but Jake Johnson and Max Greenfield are also great rounding out the cast. This show makes me genuinely laugh throughout it's half hour each week, which is no easy feat. If 2011 is the year of the sitcom, this is the crown jewel.

3. Person of Interest, Thursdays at 9 p.m. on CBS
I had high hopes for this show heading into the fall season, but I was thrown a bit by the pilot. I didn't think it was great, but the show has improved with every episode. I feel like the show is continuing to grow, and the team of Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson are great in the lead role. This is a hybrid of a procedural and serialized show. They have found a middle ground, approached both in a different way, and done a great job with it. This show is fascinating and moves in each episode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43