Talent


" I know we're all pretty small in the big scheme of things, and I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference, but what kind of difference have I made? What in the world is better because of me?" — Warren Schmidt, "About Schmidt" (2002)

Today we wrap up the T3 series with a look at Talent. I love that quote from "About Schmidt" because I think it's reflective of how many of us feel at times. That quote comes from the end of the movie, when Schmidt is looking back on his life and trying to see what good he can and has done. What gifts has he contributed to the world. He doesn't see that he's done any good or contributed any gifts.

How many times in our lives have we felt that same way? I know I've wondered that same thing. Then, beautifully, Schmidt gets a letter from a small boy he supports overseas. In that moment, he sees how he's used his gifts to make the world brighter by sharing with someone in need. When we feel lost and useless, God often reaches out to let us know we are important. We all matter and we are all important to God and to the work of the Kingdom.

One of my favorite verses is Ephesians 4:16, which says, "From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." What that verse talks about is what it takes to make the church. It takes all of us, using our unique gifts and talents. And we all have those gifts and talents, no matter what we might sometimes think.

I have always loved being in the church and working in the church. It is where I feel the most at home and the most at peace, but for a long time I didn't think I really had anything to offer. When I thought about what was needed, I didn't see myself possessing the gifts needed to further the work of the kingdom. Of course, that isn't true. But I had to step back and let God show me how I could fill a need that I was uniquely suited to do.

That is true for all of us. We just have to open our hearts to how God wants to use the talents He's given us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43