The World of Hip Hop


I like Hip Hop, or rap music. There is something about the beats that gets me going, especially when I'm doing work. But people often criticize the style of music for the content. While it's true that some songs are quite graphic in the lyrics and ideas presented, some artists actually use the form as a way of expressing higher ideas. Don't believe me? Check out these examples.

A couple weeks ago I included this verse from J Ivy on a track featured on a Kanye West album.
From "Never Let Me Down" by Kanye West Feat. Jay-Z & J Ivy
(Verse 3, J Ivy)
Determination, dedication, motivation
I'm talking to you, my many inspirations
When I say I can't, let you or self down
If I were of the highest cliff, on the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on to your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down
And when these words are found
Let it been known that God's penmanship has been signed with a language called love
That's why my breath is felt by the deaf
And why my words are heard and confined to the ears of the blind
I, too, dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cuz whenever I open my heart, my soul, or my mouth
A touch of God reigns out

It's a beautiful poem, sentiment, and view of our role here on Earth. But he's hardly the only one. British rapper Tiny Tempah has a song called "Written in the Stars," featuring Eric Turner, which has a hook that sounds an awful lot like a promise Jesus has given all mankind. The song talks about Tiny's struggle in life and with faith. But the chorus goes like this:

Written in the Stars
A Million Miles Away
A Message to the Main
Seasons Come and Go
But I Will Never Change
And I'm On My Way

Whenever I hear that, I feel encouraged. I think it is an awesome way to think about the promise of God, which I feel was the intent of the song. It's an inspirational view of God's promise to us, and how that promise props up a guy who has struggled to stay on the path for his life.

In fact, one of the most common themes in rap songs is that struggle. And many artists find a way of expressing their faith and their struggle with faith and walking a righteous path through song. T.I. has definitely made his share of mistakes. He actually ended up in prison. But his song "Dead and Gone" is an anthem and a promise. A promise to try to be smarter and to try and appreciate the grace God has for him.

No more stress, now I'm straight, now I get it, now I take
Time to think, before I make mistakes just for my family's sake
That part of me left yesterday
The heart of me is strong today
No regrets I'm blessed to say
The old me dead and gone away

Oh (eyyy)
I've been travellin' on this road too long (too long)
Just tryna find my way back home (back home)
The old me is dead and gone, dead and gone
And oh (eyyy)
I've been travellin' on this road too long (too long)
Just tryna find my way back home (back home)
The old me is dead and gone, dead and gone, dead and gone

I turn my head to the East
I don't see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the West
Still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the North
Swallow that pill that they call pride
That old me is dead and gone
But that new me will be alright

I turn my head to the East
I don't see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the West
Still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the North
Swallow that pill that they call pride
That old me is dead and gone
But that new me will be alright


Rap is an imperfect medium, and like other forms of art it's not for everyone. But, like other forms of art, it's an outlet for the free expression of ideas from artists, and some of those ideas are moving and powerful.

Plus you can dance to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43