Golden Globe Nominees


The awards season is in full bloom. On Thursday, the nominees for the Golden Globes were released. Though the Globes pale in comparison to the Academy Awards, they are a fun lead up to the big day. In recent years the Globes haven't been a great predictor of the Academy Awards, but it's still fun to look at the nominees.

Best Picture — Drama
One of the unique things about the Globes is that they give away two Best Picture prizes, but only the ones in this category are usually serious contenders. Though "War Horse" has yet to debut, the other five nominees are all solid films that are in contention, at this point, to make my list for the year's best (which will be posted on this site on Saturday, Dec. 31). Right now, I'm leaning toward "The Descendants" as the best film in the group, but we'll see.

Best Picture — Musical/Comedy
This is always a tough category to predict, and one that ends up with some less-than-worthy entrants. It doesn't help that I've only seen two of them. Still, you get the feeling this is a two-horse race between "The Artist," a black and white silent film about a silent film star coming to grips with the end of the silent film era, and "Midnight in Paris," Woody Allen's best film in some time.

Individual Awards
I'm still formulating final thoughts, but George Clooney's work in "The Descendants" and Viola Davis' heart-rending turn in "The Help" have stuck with me. Also, I kind of think it might be the year for a big prize for director Alexander Payne.

TV Drama
A lot of new comers in this category, but for me the battle is between "Homeland" and "Game of Thrones," both excellent new dramas. I need to see how "Homeland" ends its season Sunday, but both of these shows are on my short list for the best of 2011 (which will be up on my blog on Friday, Dec. 30).

TV Comedy
Based on this list, I think I would lean toward "New Girl," which is consistently funny and is the best new treat of the 2011 season.

Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
This is the toughest category. I have seen all five and they are all great in different ways (of course "Mildred Pierce" and "Cinema Verite" are depressing). If pressed, I would lean toward "Downton Abbey," this just continues to impress.

The Golden Globes will be held on Sunday, Jan. 15 on NBC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43