Not Alone


“Doubt can be a bond as sustaining as certainty. When you’re feeling lost, you are not alone.” — Father Flynn, "Doubt"

Today's mountain to move was Spiritual Isolation, or lonliness. It's a tough topic to think and speak about, but something that is a very real problem, even among those who are part of the kingdom of God. I couldn't help but think of two ways we have to battle being lonely as Christians.

The first comes when we have times of struggle and doubt. I love how this idea is addressed in the film "Doubt," based on the stage play from John Patrick Shanley, that I quoted to begin this post. We all go through times of doubt, struggle, and isolation based on the circumstances of life. This is a normal part of the rhythm of being human, and it is a normal part of our faith journey. Often, these times can strengthen our faith and resolve when we lean into Him.

The thing to remember is, when we feel lost, we are not alone. When we put our faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, He is with us, always. He is with us during times of struggle. He is with us during times of doubt. He is with us when we feel totally alone.

The other time we can feel a sense of Spiritual isolation is when we don't allow ourselves to be connected to the body. I remember going through that when I was in college. I went to Christian college, and so much of my days involved God. I had to go to chapel, where I was one face in a sea of thousands. I went to Bible class to learn more about God and pick the text apart. I was, literally, surrounded by theology. But most of it was impersonal.

Incorrectly I perceived myself as needing a break from connection. I sought out a church that was large and impersonal where I could disappear into a sea of people. I was surrounded by God and the people of God every day, but I wasn't connecting on a heart level. I was learning, studying, and considering, but there was no sense of community.

There is a part of our faith that is dependent on being a part of a vibrant body of believers. Going and sitting anonymously in the back will help you learn about God, but it takes active connection and community to help you grow. That's why the Proverbs says "Iron sharpens iron" in reference to the way we build each other up as a healthy body of believers.

It took me a while to learn that, but it has made all the difference. So when you feel alone, remember Jesus Christ is with you, always, and remember to plug into a body of believers. That, too, will make all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43