Undesirable Interloper


Today, Peyton Manning is visiting the Denver Broncos. Manning is, without a doubt, one of the greatest quarterbacks to play in the NFL. He has great statistics and has been a machine on the field. If he's healthy, he will be a difference maker for some team.

I was blown away by his press conference Wednesday. I thought it was a classy exit for a guy who was a really the man for that franchise. He made the Indianapolis Colts relevant. He is an incredible competitor. The Colts will not be the same.

And now he's a free agent, out to make the difference for some team. I'm sure he will. I understand he's the most desirable free agent on the market. I understand everyone wants him. I don't.

I spent his entire career rooting against Peyton Manning. I plan on continuing that until he retires. I respect his talent. I think he's a great player. I hope he loses every important game. I can't reconcile those feelings with him in a Broncos uniform. That means for the second time in five years, I'd have to start actively rooting against the team that's always been my favorite. This would be worse than Josh McDaniels.

In addition to the fact that I don't want to see Manning playing for my beloved team, I think it's an insulting move that, frankly, could make loathe John Elway. The Mile High Magician. My favorite player of all time. The man now running the Broncos whose actions contradict his public profession of faith in Tim Tebow.

So now we come to the reason why I would actually quit on my team. Tebow. The idea Denver would gamble on Manning and cast Tebow aside is unthinkable to me. Tebow was a first round draft choice who, despite the lack of faith shown by coaches and his raw skills, has done everything you'd expect from a franchise quarterback. He helped win games. He renewed excitement and interest in the team. He guided them to the playoffs, even winning a playoff game. In short, he arguably had a better season than Cam Newton and certainly did better the Sam Bradford — yet the Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams aren't chasing Peyton Manning.

Tebow is the future. He's an incredible, rare talent. Manning, arguably, is too. But Denver doesn't need him, and I certainly don't want him. Like LeBron James, let him take his talents to South Beach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43