The Measure of a Year


"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens" — Ecclesiastes 3:1

What a difference a year can make. Birthdays feel different as you progress. They are exciting parties when you're young, the gateway to landmark events in your teens and early 20s, an excuse to blow off steam as a young adult, and a time to take stock of your life as you pass on toward adulthood.

I don't know when adulthood really sets in, but a panic about adulthood set in for me last May, when I turned 30. It gave me a new appreciation for a lot of things I didn't have when I was younger. All those times I bemoaned a player being too old or over the hill when they turned 30 gave me pause. Now I say 30 is old for professional sports, but certainly not for life.

Still, in a country and culture that worships youth and early accomplishment, it's hard not to feel a little underwhelmed at times when you look at your life. But that is the influence of the world and of our human nature, not a reflection of how God sees us. That is important to remember.

Last year around my birthday I had a mini existential crisis. I felt like I hit an important life marker and had little to show for it. Then I watched the movie "Something Borrowed," and that feeling only increased. (On a side note, never, ever, ever watch that movie. It sucks. It will cause you to lose sleep for no apparent reason).

But those times can also be the gateway to great change. For me, hitting that landmark, and getting over the initial swell of apathy, pushed me to do things I'd long put off. I put my health and well-being into focus, concentrating on a nutrition plan that has helped me shed pounds and improve my quality of life.

I also began fervently praying that God would provide peace and direction to my life. And I feel the blessings of His answers every day.

Birthdays mean different things at different times in your life. Last year was rough for me, but I needed it as part of my journey. And that makes the celebration this year all the more sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43